noun (plural understoreys)Ecology
- A layer of vegetation beneath the main canopy of a forest: a substantial understorey of shrubs and small trees [as modifier]: the presence of understorey vegetation and leaf litterMore example sentences
- The understorey in the forest depends on the type of trees growing there.
- There are virtually no shrubs left to form an understorey.
- The understorey in the ancient woodland is mainly hazel stools.
More definitions of understoreyDefinition of understorey in:
- The US English dictionary