Not having or showing the qualities associated with a son or daughter: to question a parental decision was considered unfilial
More example sentences
- Another tells the story of an old man deserted by his unfilial daughters and which has some similarity to Shakespeare's ‘King Lear’.
- Mencius, a Confucian master even said: ‘There are three things which are unfilial, and to have no posterity is the greatest of them.’
- Either is possible, because the disheartening news about unfilial children still alerts me to the possibility of the son turning his back on his mother.
- Example sentences
- In her search for her missing husband, the woman demonstrated loyalty to her husband; however, since her discovery of the body exposed her father's crime, she also acted unfilially.
- He published by subscription a small edition of his father's works in 1747, but selfishly and unfilially omitted several of the best of them.
- ‘I don't know whether to speak to Abner,’ the other proceeded unfilially, ‘or the great Penny first.’
Definition of unfilial in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.