Definition of ungracious in English:
1Not polite or friendly: after Anna’s kindness I wouldn’t want to seem ungracious
More example sentences
- Holden has little need for Spencer's lecture, but he doesn't want to hurt his teacher's feelings by being short or ungracious.
- But my friends wanted sympathy, and it seemed ungracious of me not to empathize.
- In this fairly ungracious position (the view up my shorts for the bloke on the exercise bike opposite can't have been too nice) I started to do sit-ups.
rude, impolite, uncivil, discourteous, ill-mannered, bad-mannered, unmannerly, uncouth, disrespectful, ungallant, insolent, impertinent, impudent, churlish, boorish, gauche, cavalier, offhand, unladylike, ungentlemanly, blunt, gruff, curt, terse, sharp, short, surly, unfriendly, hostile, unkind, inconsiderate, insensitive
- Example sentences
- In the immediate aftermath of a 1-0 home defeat, he then ungraciously criticised Liverpool's tactics in ‘just kicking the ball forward and hoping to get a break’.
- When things are going well for them politically, they are unbearably arrogant, shoving it in everyone's faces, ungraciously lording it over all concerned.
- Why indeed would Mr Francis leap so ungraciously at distortions and seek (albeit unsuccessfully) to damage my career and undermine my livelihood?
- Example sentences
- Never mind the spectacular ungraciousness of not giving his 2000 runningmate the courtesy of a phone call.
- I was embarrassed by my ungraciousness, faced as I was with a bowl of such delicious noodles, giving off steam and sending off strong aromas.
- In fact, that ungraciousness was what led to the birth of this young magician.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan