Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of unilinear in English:
1Developing or arranged serially and predictably, without deviation: there is a unilinear path of language learning with a finite end
More example sentences
- I shall critically evaluate the orthodox and revisionist analyses in terms of the ten dimensions on which I compared them, suggesting a more complex picture than the unilinear development of policing implied by both approaches.
- We also must wonder that if unilinear progress in the mode of production can instead have phases of retrogression is there a possibility of World War III?
- Gill suggests that ‘globalization is dialectical, not unilinear, promoting opposing tendencies: integration and fragmentation, universalism and particularism, homogenisation and differentiation’.
- unilinearly adverb
- Example sentences
- The study by Seielstad, Minch, and Cavalli-Sforza may be regarded as the pioneer study on the relations between genetic variation of unilinearly transmitted polymorphisms and sociocultural factors.
- At any rate, of course, my thinking is skewed to perceive things unilinearly as long as I continue to subject myself to the doctrine of schools…
- The scientific ideal is essential from my standpoint, but philosophy does not progress unilinearly; we keep returning to founding texts over and over.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.