Definition of unionist in English:
1A member of a trade union.
- Firstly, as a unionist and a member of a progressive union, I fully support redeployment, but you need to consider the time factor when you deal with it.
- Wives of picket line unionists were recipients of anonymous correspondence apparently aimed at driving a wedge between them and their husbands, with a view to ending the dispute in the company's favour.
- As usual, many protesters against economic globalisation in its present form will be unionists, and ALP members.
2 (Unionist) A person, especially a member of a Northern Ireland political party, who is in favour of the union of Northern Ireland with Great Britain.
- Many Unionists are members of the anti-Catholic Orange Order.
- Assembly members have to declare themselves Unionists or Republicans.
- In the Whitewell area an independent candidate came second to Paisley's Democratic Unionists in recent council elections.
2.2An opponent of secession during the American Civil War of 1861-5.
- With secession, Philadelphia's unionists believed that the very foundation of their prosperity as a class had been placed in jeopardy.
- Virginia unionists controlled the state secession convention from its opening in February into the early days of April.
- His theories of nullification and state interposition offered a third path between unconditional unionists and secessionists.
- Example sentences
- Beneath the heated debate lay different approaches to unionism, politics, and the future course of labour.
- Now anyone who knows the history of Northern Ireland and of unionism must appreciate the great significance of this.
- In his absence, where will the voice of Ulster unionism emanate from?
- Example sentences
- Those who seek to promote the Eureka Stockade as a profoundly important revolution in Australian history in a unionistic or Marxian sense are not doing any favors for the flag they favour.
- He allows a man who already had apologized for unionistic actions before to go and commit the same sin again.
- That is, unless the basic freedoms of the unionistic order were abolished - which was politically impossible.
Definition of unionist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan