Definition of unipolar in English:
1Having or relating to a single pole or kind of polarity: a unipolar magnetic charge
More example sentences
- To achieve unipolar charge sensing over the largest possible portion of the detector volume, then, requires the smallest possible strip pitch compared to the thickness of the detector.
- Waltz theorizes that the units in an anarchic system will be profoundly affected by the degree of polarity, and he distinguishes between unipolar, bipolar, and multipolar systems.
- That is not to say, however, that the new world order is unipolar, in which one unique pole is universally accepted as the unchallenged arbiter of world affairs.
1.1 Electronics (Of a transistor or other device) using charge carriers of a single polarity.
- A unipolar sensor basically acts as an NPN transistor whose base current is on when the device is in the presence of a south magnetic pole.
- As the majority of commercially available bronchoscopes are not electrically grounded, the bronchoscopist risks becoming the grounding electrode should the unipolar probe tip touch the scope while the current is on.
- The scrub person and circulating nurse attach the camera and light source to the thoracoscope and the unipolar and bipolar cords to the electrosurgical unit.
2(Of psychiatric illness) characterized by either depressive or manic episodes but not both.
- The antidepressant effect of lithium in unipolar depressive illness has been investigated in 14 controlled studies.
- An additional 5% have severe depressions only sometimes called unipolar disease.
- The book is also limited by restricting the accounts of personal experience of madness to extreme mental states, such as mania and psychosis, and not mental illnesses such as unipolar depression or anxiety disorders.
3(Of a nerve cell) having only one axon or process.
- The somas of the sensory fibers in the vagus nerves lie in the ganglion nodosum whose unipolar cells possess a branched process, one branch receiving signals from the gut and the other carrying them on to the brain.
- Those located in sensory ganglia are unipolar, whereas those in autonomic ganglia are multipolar.
- Example sentences
- Liberal internationalists are not interested in divesting America of its hard won preeminence; indeed, they believe that maintaining unipolarity is an essential element of any foreign policy ‘grand strategy.’
- Then there is realism, which has the clearest understanding of the new unipolarity and its uses - unilateral and preemptive if necessary.
- One of the great skills of the statesman is the ability to present a potentially divisive reality (and unipolarity is exactly that) in ways that promote understanding and acceptance.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan