1(Of an organism) either male or female; not hermaphrodite.
- This means that the unisexual females are actually parasitizing bisexual males of these other species.
- When H. frenatus arrives on an island, the population of the unisexual species plummets.
- Various species may be unisexual, hermaphroditic, or have separate sexes.
1.1 Botany (Of a flower) having either stamens or pistils but not both.
- Plants are characterized as having unisexual flowers and dichotomously forked leaves arranged in crowded whorls.
- The genus has reduced unisexual flowers grouped into characteristic pseudanthia called cyathia.
- They have unisexual flowers, are wind-pollinated, and apparently have a very short and inconspicuous flowering time so that the presence of flowers is easily overlooked.
- Example sentences
- There are also ‘alternative mating systems,’ which include alternative male strategies, hermaphroditism, and unisexuality.
- Rather than being a viewpoint in support of homosexuality, it's more like an argument favoring an androgynous unisexuality that even most gender benders would find unreflective of their lives.
- It is likely that he achieved just the effect he was after here, as audiences are forced to confront in full force not homosexuality but unisexuality.
- Example sentences
- No difference in granuloma formation between naive and P. berghei-immunized animals and between unisexually and bisexually S. mansoni-infected mice was observed.
- Thus, whereas the parental species reproduce sexually, the hybrid reproduces unisexually due to the result of meiotic drive, but still depends on a sexual hang-up.
- With the first guy I mean it unisexually, and the second… femalely.
Words that rhyme with unisexualasexual, bisexual, heterosexual, homosexual, psychosexual, sexual, transsexual
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: uni|sex¦ual
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.