Inconsiderate and harsh to others: you were terribly unkind to her he was the butt of some unkind jokes it was unkind of her to criticize
More example sentences
- Television is brutal and unkind to yesterday's rock stars.
- You call me in to see, and I explain that it would be unkind to leave it there: it might crawl to the floor; we must take care that no one squashes it.
- Farmers are always getting the blame for being unkind to the Environment, where in the majority of cases, the farmers are blameless.
uncharitable, unpleasant, disagreeable, nasty, mean, mean-spirited, cruel, vicious, spiteful, malicious, malevolent, harsh, callous, pitiless, ruthless, unsympathetic, unfeeling, compassionless, uncaring, snide, shabby, hurtful, wounding, upsetting, ill-natured, hard-hearted, heartless, cold-hearted, merciless, brutal, savage, inhuman;
unfriendly, unamiable, uncivil, inconsiderate, insensitive, ungenerous, inhospitable, unkindly, hostile
- Example sentences
- Even possible allies may view the hostile takeover unkindly.
- She bore him three children - then found him gradually moving emotionally away from her, not unkindly, but with a cruel determination.
- Thank you for staying my hand when I was tempted to pen a nasty review of someone who'd written unkindly about my books.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un¦kind
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.