Definition of unleaded in English:
1(Especially of petrol) without added lead.
- Spanish fuel stations supply most internationally known brands of unleaded petrol (gasolina sin plomo) and diesel (gas oil).
- Tax on unleaded petrol was due to rise 1.4p per litre last month but this was held back because of a global rise in petrol prices.
- Service stations now have to display the price of three products which must include the price of unleaded petrol.
2Not covered, weighted, or framed with lead.
- Do you select scented or unscented candles, beeswax, soybean or paraffin, leaded or unleaded wicks?
- Derivatives of the Colchester brooch were now being made of leaded bronze, presumably a cheaper metal, but not malleable so that the pin-spring had to be made separately of an unleaded alloy.
3 Printing (Of type) with no space or leads added between lines.
- A font is 12 points high if the distance between the baselines of two adjacent lines of (unleaded) text is 12 points.
- Traditionally a 12 point font is one where the metal slugs are 12 points tall -- or where the baseline to baseline spacing of unleaded text is 12 points, so an em was the size of the metal.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
Petrol without added lead: the car was converted to run on unleaded
More example sentences
- The cheapest was Tesco, at Middlebrook, selling unleaded at 82.9p and diesel at 86.9p.
- They say that the motorist is getting a premium unleaded petrol well below the cost of normal unleaded.
- I was just, you know, filling up with four star, I mean unleaded, you know, petrol.
Definition of unleaded in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan