Definition of unlucky in English:
adjective (unluckier, unluckiest)
Having, bringing, or resulting from bad luck: an unlucky defeat [with infinitive]: the visitors were unlucky to have a goal disallowed
More example sentences
- Pool gave a debut to ex-Yew Tree striker Ben Kelly but he was unable to prevent an unlucky defeat.
- They will probably feel a bit unlucky they did not defeat Warrington last weekend.
- Steeton reserves were unlucky to go down to a one goal defeat at league leaders Bay Athletic.
unfortunate, luckless, out of luck, down on one's luck, hapless, ill-fated, ill-starred, star-crossed, blighted, unhappy, unsuccessful, wretched, miserable, poor, pitiful;
unfavourable, unpromising, inauspicious, unpropitious, ominous, doomed, jinxed, damned, cursed, ill-fated, ill-omened, bringing bad luck, adverse, disadvantageous, unfortunate, detrimental, deleterious, ruinous
- Example sentences
- Carrick Troop, unluckily brought down last time, has decent claims in the TFM Cyntergy Handicap Chase, while the RPS Group Handicap Hurdle offers Konker the opportunity to get back on the winning trail.
- There is a world of difference between the Utd, that was on view that day and the one, that unluckily lost to Arsenal today on penalties.
- Luckily or unluckily for them, they have tremendous love for everybody around them.
- Example sentences
- OK, so the week didn't quite pan out as I'd planned it, never making it to France having lost my passport - granted, a result of my own stupidity, rather than any genuine unluckiness.
- But before you think things have taken a turn for a change, rest assured that unluckiness is never far away.
- I realise this, in itself, is not evidence of my unluckiness: more sheer clumsiness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan