Definition of unmerciful in English:
Cruel or harsh; showing no mercy: deceptively inflated incomes expose many couples to unmerciful taxes
More example sentences
- Being at the mercy of an unmerciful Ãresource decisionÃ ®, right at the end of your life, is unacceptable.
- Many 21st Century Westerners imagine that there are two Gods; the God of the Old Testament - harsh and unmerciful - and the God of the New Testament - loving and forgiving.
- Hades is not his real name, everybody calls him Hades for his very unmerciful and cruel tactics in battles and wars.
ruthless, cruel, harsh, merciless, pitiless, unpitying, remorseless, cold-blooded, hard-hearted, hard, callous, brutal, brutish, severe, rigorous, draconian, unrelenting, unforgiving, unsparing, barbarous, savage, inhumane, inhuman, stony, heartless, cut-throat, unsympathetic, unfeeling, illiberal, uncharitable, inflexible, intolerant, rigid, stern, strict, punishing, sadistic
- Example sentences
- The sad fact is that if the Democrats had tried to make a big issue of the matter the press would have criticized them unmercifully for spoiling the 100th birthday celebrations of a great man with their petty partisan politics.
- And I was really ticklish when I was a kid (still am for that matter, but only on the back and not all the time), and my cousins used to trap me at Empire Bay and tickle me unmercifully.
- His false teeth had been taken from him and as he stood in the dock, badgered unmercifully by the venomous chief judge, he kept grasping at his trousers to keep them from falling down.
- 2unmercifulness noun
- Example sentences
- We also used silver metal to show the coldness and unmercifulness of war.
- All this we have mentioned can arise from unmercifulness and not out of mercy.
- In Greece & Rome the rich & poor, the creditors & debtors, as well as the patricians & plebeians alternately oppressed each other with equal unmercifulness.
Pronunciation: /ʌnˈməːsɪfʊli/ /ʌnˈməːsɪf(ə)li/adverb
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.