Contrary to what is usual, traditional, or accepted; not orthodox: he frequently upset other scholars with his unorthodox views
More example sentences
- I came up with matching words such as distinct, novel, unconventional, unorthodox.
- They will be in all sorts of places, orthodox and unorthodox, and there will be lots to choose from.
- Britten N. Lay views of drugs and medicines: orthodox and unorthodox accounts.
unconventional, unusual, uncommon, unwonted, out of the ordinary, radical, revolutionary, nonconformist, irregular, offbeat, off-centre, avant-garde, original, new, novel, fresh, eccentric, exotic, Bohemian, alternative, idiosyncratic, abnormal, extreme, divergent, aberrant, anomalous, bizarre, outlandish, perverse
- Example sentences
- I will quote two of Finster's own unorthodoxly spelled and badly grammared word-filled paintings, and then show what the Smithsonian did.
- I smiled politely; I'd definitely wanted to meet the man that could compose something so romantic, especially so unorthodoxly.
- But soon the seemingly random lines began to come together into shapes and then objects, though unorthodoxly done.
- Example sentences
- As Europe became exceedingly religious and superstitious, alchemists began to cloak their work in symbolism and mystery - after all, if no one could discern their purpose, they could not be accused of unorthodoxy.
- All of this expresses very well a necessary order and a determinate process, but one into which freedom, unorthodoxy and the sphere of the gratuitous and spontaneous cannot penetrate.
- Listeners to Lionel Blue's Thought for the Day on Radio 4's Today will be familiar with the rabbi's brand of affability, generosity, unorthodoxy, humour and homespun wisdom.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|ortho¦dox
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.