1Not arranged in pairs.
- Because of the odd number of marginals, a single narrow marginal remains unpaired.
- In hemichordates, the three adult coelomic cavities are derived from coelomic sacs that form around the gut of the larva (an unpaired protocoel and two pairs of sacs for the mesocoel and metacoel).
- Ground state molecular oxygen can be activated by excess energy, reversing the spin of one of the unpaired electrons to form singlet oxygen.
2Not forming one of a pair.
- Single males arrive first, with pairs and unpaired females following.
- We examined philopatric behavior of previously paired and unpaired males to see whether specific sexual-selection pressures were related to the philopatric behavior of individuals.
- That Ovenbirds are monogamous, not all males are paired, and unpaired females are rarely observed, suggests female survival is lower than male survival.
Words that rhyme with unpairedBaird, hearing-impaired, laird, undeclared, underprepared, unimpaired, unprepared, unshared
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|paired
Definition of unpaired in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.