Definition of unprofessional in English:
Below or contrary to the standards expected in a particular profession: a report on unprofessional conduct
More example sentences
- But yesterday Mr Roberts admitted unprofessional and incompetent conduct.
- There is a temptation to do a bit of gloating about the unprofessional standards of certain accountancy firms.
- How does the committee expect to find suppliers in the future with this unprofessional conduct?
improper, unethical, unprincipled, unscrupulous, dishonourable, disreputable, unseemly, unbecoming, unbefitting, indecorous, unworthy, lax, negligent
British informal dodgy
amateurish, amateur, unskilled, unskilful, inexpert, untrained, unqualified, inexperienced, unpractised, incompetent, sloppy, careless, slapdash, slipshod, shoddy, bungling, bumbling, blundering, second-rate, clumsy, crude, inefficient
- Example sentences
- There's zero tolerance for misconduct or unprofessionalism by any member this department.
- There were several apparent cases of unprofessionalism and general misconduct by staff members, and those are being dealt with through normal disciplinary procedures as they should be.
- That the Queen's advisers should have ignored a letter from Burrell's solicitor, Andrew Shaw, requesting a meeting, is evidence of gross unprofessionalism and disdainful high-handedness on the part of the royal household.
- Example sentences
- There have been many changes, and I have seen for myself the punishment meted out to those who are undisciplined, especially those who behave unprofessionally - for example, those who commit rape, or theft, or other undisciplined acts.
- We have no process to deal with priests who act unprofessionally, nor a way to listen to credible witnesses in such cases.
- He warns ministers: ‘When one clergyman or woman acts unprofessionally, he or she threatens to bring the Church as a whole into disrepute - witness the ripple effect of scandals.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.