Not giving hope of future success or good results: the boy’s natural intellect had survived in unpromising circumstances
More example sentences
- And people are going to keep using the flag, some to celebrate a heroic past, some to protest an unpromising future.
- Born in Beverley in 1949, his rise to success from distinctly unpromising beginnings is an inspiration to other young artists.
- But if the premise is unpromising, the result is utterly engrossing.
- Example sentences
- The book starts unpromisingly: ‘Despite all the interviews, reviews and analysis, The Fall still defies explanation.’
- Our initial meeting begins unpromisingly with an apology: ‘Erm, I've just got to go and write down a few ideas I was thinking of on the way over here,’ and then he disappears round the corner of the bar to find a quiet spot.
- I don't have a lot of time for any politicians outside of Tony Benn,’ he began, unpromisingly.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|prom¦is¦ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.