1Not processed to remove impurities or unwanted elements: unrefined sugar
More example sentences
- Choose oils that are unrefined and minimally processed.
- Her yoghurts are naturally flavoured using fruit, unrefined sugar and lemon juice.
- ‘We all know that poor diet, eating too much unrefined sugar and not brushing our teeth are causes of tooth decay,’ he says, suggesting that a proper programme of dental education would be a better solution.
2(Of a person or their behaviour) not elegant or cultured.
- Not only do I look like an unsentimental person, but I also look like an unrefined idiot.
- She's smart enough, however, to understand that her beauty and her bankroll will open doors that would otherwise slam flush in the face of an unrefined girl from the Colonies.
- And at 21 he's so unrefined that you can never be sure exactly what he'll do - for better or worse - when he's involved in a play.
uncultured, uncultivated, uncivilized, philistine, uneducated, unsophisticated, unpolished, indelicate, inelegant, ungraceful;
boorish, oafish, loutish, barbarian, coarse, vulgar, rude, uncouth, crude, ill-bred, ill-mannered, crass, raw, rough, rough and ready;
provincial, parochial, rustic
Words that rhyme with unrefinedaffined, behind, bind, blind, find, hind, humankind, interwind, kind, mankind, mind, nonaligned, resigned, rind, unaligned, unassigned, unconfined, undefined, undersigned, undesigned, unlined, unsigned, wynd
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|re¦fined
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.