- 1(Of organic molecules) having carbon-carbon double or triple bonds and therefore not containing the greatest possible number of hydrogen atoms.More example sentences
- In common with all unsaturated hydrocarbons hydrogen can be added across the double bond to produce ethane.
- Thus conjugation can occur in molecules in which the unsaturated sites are close in space but are separated by more than a single covalent bond.
- The unsaturated benzene ring readily reacts with halogens, rapidly discoloring bromine water.
- 1.1Denoting fats containing a high proportion of fatty acid molecules with at least one double bond, considered to be healthier in the diet than saturated fats.More example sentences
- In the case of oil palm, trees can be manipulated to produce more unsaturated fatty acids.
- Mono unsaturated fatty acids are liquid at room temperature.
- The majority of your fat intake should come from unsaturated fats.
- More example sentences
- The color of a dye is due to its ability to absorb light in the visible region of the spectrum, an ability enhanced by unsaturation (presence of double bonds in the molecule) and resonance.
- The current work shows that lipid asymmetry and unsaturation both result in high critical pressures in monolayers.
- Qualitative changes in the levels of fatty acids also occur with cold acclimation, leading to unsaturation of the fatty acids and subsequent protection of plant membranes against freezing stress.
More definitions of unsaturatedDefinition of unsaturated in:
- The US English dictionary