- 1Not feeling, showing, or expressing sympathy: I’m not being unsympathetic, but I can’t see why you put up with himMore example sentences
- The precise merit of his book is that he details how pluralist authors have evolved in response to both sympathetic and unsympathetic critics.
- There's nothing quite as unsympathetic as a politician looking for sympathy.
- A petite woman dressed in pearls and a well-tailored suit, she comes across as shrewd and hardheaded but not unsympathetic to her subjects.
- 2Not showing approval or favour towards an idea or action: they were initially unsympathetic towards the cause of Irish freedomMore example sentences
- Councillors decided the proposals were unsympathetic towards existing properties and grouping the low-cost homes together would create a ‘ghetto’ at one end of the cul-de-sac.
- His book is particularly unsympathetic towards the Lhasa theocracy, which is not surprising since he chronicles the 1904 invasion of Tibet by the British.
- In 1930 he assumed power in Brazil after a revolution and his dictatorship was unsympathetic towards modern art.
- 3(Of a person) not friendly or cooperative; unlikeable: a totally unsympathetic characterMore example sentences
- What I got instead was a gut-wrenchingly awful representation of my community, peopled with unlikeable and unsympathetic characters and crammed full of every negative Jewish stereotype imaginable.
- It was an encounter which began to turn the public against Judith, who appeared on the defensive, uncontrolled, bad tempered and all in all a rather unsympathetic character.
- A reader would understandably begin to suspect that he might be shirking his imaginative responsibilities here by offering us nothing more than an unsympathetic portrait of an unsympathetic character.
- More example sentences
- It worries them that many vintage structures, both vernacular and colonial, are being changed unsympathetically, resulting in eyesores, even on King Street.
- He believes that developers struggle to maintain prices when, at the peak of a market cycle, they've squeezed every last room they can into an unsympathetically designed space.
- Reading unsympathetically, we may reflect that there's not much he does that isn't for show.