Definition of untarnished in English:
1(Of metal or metalware) not having lost its lustre.
- Not only has she maintained it, but she has kept it bright and shining, untarnished by time.
- The steel blade shimmered as if it were made of untarnished chrome.
- As untarnished silver is the best reflector of light, it was used in ancient times to make mirrors.
1.1Not spoiled or damaged: his ministers enjoyed an untarnished reputation
More example sentences
- I am pleased Opposition members seem to think I am such a threat that they need to damage my untarnished reputation in the House.
- Polls suggest Labour is still trusted on the economy and the chancellor's reputation remains relatively untarnished.
- I think many people need to see a bit of imperfection, a touch of corruption, to identify with many politicians - those with untarnished integrity tend to inspire dislike as they seem to uphold a standard others don't think they can meet.
Words that rhyme with untarnishedunvarnished
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.