1(Of metal or metalware) not having lost its lustre.
- Not only has she maintained it, but she has kept it bright and shining, untarnished by time.
- The steel blade shimmered as if it were made of untarnished chrome.
- As untarnished silver is the best reflector of light, it was used in ancient times to make mirrors.
1.1Not spoiled or damaged: his ministers enjoyed an untarnished reputation
More example sentences
- I am pleased Opposition members seem to think I am such a threat that they need to damage my untarnished reputation in the House.
- Polls suggest Labour is still trusted on the economy and the chancellor's reputation remains relatively untarnished.
- I think many people need to see a bit of imperfection, a touch of corruption, to identify with many politicians - those with untarnished integrity tend to inspire dislike as they seem to uphold a standard others don't think they can meet.
Words that rhyme with untarnishedunvarnished
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|tar¦nished
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.