- 1(Of metal or metalware) not having lost its lustre.More example sentences
- Not only has she maintained it, but she has kept it bright and shining, untarnished by time.
- The steel blade shimmered as if it were made of untarnished chrome.
- As untarnished silver is the best reflector of light, it was used in ancient times to make mirrors.
- 1.1Not spoiled or damaged: his ministers enjoyed an untarnished reputationMore example sentences
- I am pleased Opposition members seem to think I am such a threat that they need to damage my untarnished reputation in the House.
- Polls suggest Labour is still trusted on the economy and the chancellor's reputation remains relatively untarnished.
- I think many people need to see a bit of imperfection, a touch of corruption, to identify with many politicians - those with untarnished integrity tend to inspire dislike as they seem to uphold a standard others don't think they can meet.