Definition of untouchable in English:
1Not able or allowed to be touched or affected: drug barons who were legally untouchable
More example sentences
- If marriage is invincible, indelibly written on the human heart, untouchable or only slightly touched by culture, where do all these fatherless families come from?
- It was like reaching back in time and touching the untouchable, the unknowable.
- We all know that youths are untouchable, that we're not allowed to defend ourselves and that authority is ridiculed.
1.1Unable to be matched or rivalled: when the band retreat to ambience and minimalism, they are untouchable
More example sentences
- They would at the very least hold on to their 13-point lead and with a game in hand over most of their rivals they would be virtually untouchable with just four matches still to play.
- Are we now to assume the England rugby team is officially untouchable in the prize-giving context by all except an elite comprising members of the Royal Family, knights of the realm and fellow World Cup winners?
- The match started promisingly for Oxford, as Hannah of Oriel was untouchable in the hammer throw, achieving a match record of 37. 24m.
nounBack to top
A member of the lowest-caste Hindu group or a person outside the caste system, contact with whom is traditionally held to defile members of higher castes.
- During a recent visit, I found liberals and intellectuals, jet-setters and slum dwellers, men and women, Brahmins and untouchables expressing this Hindu pride.
- Rather, untouchables are outcastes placed below the sudra caste.
- Elsewhere, where Hindus did convert, it was not the hoped-for Brahmins, but the powerless and disenfranchized lower castes and untouchables who made the change.
- Example sentences
- Paradoxically, the most moving aspect of her previous work has always been the sense of untouchability, the distance that comes with such an alienating and unusual sound.
- Criminal cases are extremely difficult in these situations because of the untouchability of the military in Mexican society.
Definition of untouchable in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.