Definition of untouchable in English:
1Not able or allowed to be touched or affected: drug barons who were legally untouchable
More example sentences
- If marriage is invincible, indelibly written on the human heart, untouchable or only slightly touched by culture, where do all these fatherless families come from?
- It was like reaching back in time and touching the untouchable, the unknowable.
- We all know that youths are untouchable, that we're not allowed to defend ourselves and that authority is ridiculed.
1.1Unable to be matched or rivalled: when the band retreat to ambience and minimalism, they are untouchable
More example sentences
- They would at the very least hold on to their 13-point lead and with a game in hand over most of their rivals they would be virtually untouchable with just four matches still to play.
- Are we now to assume the England rugby team is officially untouchable in the prize-giving context by all except an elite comprising members of the Royal Family, knights of the realm and fellow World Cup winners?
- The match started promisingly for Oxford, as Hannah of Oriel was untouchable in the hammer throw, achieving a match record of 37. 24m.
nounBack to top
A member of the lowest-caste Hindu group or a person outside the caste system, contact with whom is traditionally held to defile members of higher castes.
- During a recent visit, I found liberals and intellectuals, jet-setters and slum dwellers, men and women, Brahmins and untouchables expressing this Hindu pride.
- Rather, untouchables are outcastes placed below the sudra caste.
- Elsewhere, where Hindus did convert, it was not the hoped-for Brahmins, but the powerless and disenfranchized lower castes and untouchables who made the change.
- Example sentences
- Paradoxically, the most moving aspect of her previous work has always been the sense of untouchability, the distance that comes with such an alienating and unusual sound.
- Criminal cases are extremely difficult in these situations because of the untouchability of the military in Mexican society.
Definition of untouchable in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan