Definition of unusual in English:
1Not habitually or commonly occurring or done: the government has taken the unusual step of calling home its ambassador it was unusual for Dennis to be late
More example sentences
- It might sound arrogant to those of a secular persuasion but it is not unusual.
- It is not unusual for places to be catapulted to stardom thanks to the medium of TV or cinema.
- Clearly, this is a river bank and it is not unusual to see rats on a river bank.
strange, odd, curious, out of the ordinary, extraordinary, out of the way, unorthodox, uncustomary, unconventional, outlandish, offbeat, off-centre, deviant, novel, singular, peculiar, queer, bizarre, freakish, quirky, alien;
rare, scarce, few and far between, thin on the ground, exceptional, isolated, occasional, infrequent, irregular, sporadic;
British out of the common
North American informaloff the wall
1.1Remarkable or interesting because different from or better than others: a man of unusual talent
More example sentences
- We'd also be interested to know of any other sporting stars with unusual middle names.
- Now the speculation has begun about what led the proud parents to choose such an unusual name.
- He said my surname was an unusual name and did I know my ancestors had invented the Biro pen.
- [sentence adverb]: unusually for a city hotel, it is set around a lovely garden [as submodifier]: he made an unusually large number of mistakesMore example sentences
- That day was unusually quiet perhaps because of the gale or the Craft Fair at the showground.
- This would be an unusually well-researched column if it hadn't been for the cold rice pudding.
- Market traders reported a much slower turnover than usual and the shops remained unusually quiet.
- Example sentences
- He could not assume that a reader or critic would grasp the unusualness and special, idiosyncratic effect of his verse merely by observing the words on the page.
- I remarked on the unusualness of the hour when they were coming to effect an arrest but I complied, and off we went.
- I'm not an ecology expert, but I do know that what's most striking about them is their unusualness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.