Definition of upsilon in English:
1The twentieth letter of the Greek alphabet (Υ, υ), transliterated as ‘u’ or (chiefly in English words derived through Latin) as ‘y’.
- Typesetters typically confuse Greek letters in setting Greek quotations: nu with upsilon, theta with phi.
- Look lower down the alphabet - theta perhaps, or even upsilon.
1.1 (Upsilon) [followed by Latin genitive] Astronomy The twentieth star in a constellation: Upsilon Scorpii
More example sentences
- The system they focused on, three huge Jupiter-like planets orbiting the central star Upsilon Andromedae, was the first extrasolar multi-planet system ever discovered by Doppler spectroscopy.
- The discovery comes only seven months after the first multi-planet system outside our own, around the star Upsilon Andromedae, was identified.
- For example, Upsilon Andromedae is now known to possess a system of three large planets.
1.2 (also upsilon particle) Physics A meson thought to contain a b quark bound to its antiparticle, produced in particle accelerators.
- Use of the tracking information told the energies and momenta of the muons - which could then be traced back to find the new upsilon particle and its mass.
- Similarly, the bottom quark was inferred from the discovery of the upsilon particle by Leon Lederman in 1977 at Fermilab.
- Some colleagues were surprised that he had not won a Nobel earlier, perhaps for the discovery in 1977 of the upsilon particle, the most massive nuclear particle yet found.
Words that rhyme with upsilonpylon
Definition of upsilon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.