Definition of upstand in English:
1An upright structure or object.
- The models have flat-bottomed hulls and had previously been supported on brass upstands and housed in a variety of conventional display cases.
- In the alternative to weir overflows, the upstand pipes would be about 75 mm high and it is most unlikely that any blockage would have extended to that height.
1.1A turned-up edge of a flat surface or sheeting, especially in a roof space where it meets the wall.
- The brass panel constructions are only 60 mm thick and, as the pavilion is seen from the upper storeys of the house, its roof is also a rigorously pared down structure, with an upstand reduced to 50 mm from the more usual 150 mm.
- The roof could still be artificial slate but with natural stone gable upstands and stone copings.
- This canopy can be removed altogether or replaced by a curved upstand.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan