Definition of upstand in English:
1An upright structure or object.
- The models have flat-bottomed hulls and had previously been supported on brass upstands and housed in a variety of conventional display cases.
- In the alternative to weir overflows, the upstand pipes would be about 75 mm high and it is most unlikely that any blockage would have extended to that height.
1.1A turned-up edge of a flat surface or sheeting, especially in a roof space where it meets the wall.
- The brass panel constructions are only 60 mm thick and, as the pavilion is seen from the upper storeys of the house, its roof is also a rigorously pared down structure, with an upstand reduced to 50 mm from the more usual 150 mm.
- The roof could still be artificial slate but with natural stone gable upstands and stone copings.
- This canopy can be removed altogether or replaced by a curved upstand.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.