- 1Honest; respectable: an upstanding member of the communityMore example sentences
- Mr Watts-Jones told the court his client had outgrown the misbehaviour of his youth and become an upstanding member of the community, with a respectable job, a wife and two teenage children.
- He clearly was neither a law-abiding person nor an upstanding member of the local community.
- But I think it came at a moment when Americans were particularly hungry for someone they could perceive as honest, upstanding, and a hero.
- 2.1(Of an animal) strong and healthy: upstanding, powerful sheepMore example sentences
- My mare had fulfilled all our expectations and presented us with a healthy, upstanding young colt; who would go on to win many a class alongside his mum.
- There were no collies in those days and many of the best sheep dogs were big upstanding and both smooth and rough coated.