verb[with object] (usually as adjective upthrown)
- Displace (a rock formation) upwards: the oilfields are situated on top of upthrown fault blocksMore example sentences
- They are often seen together with features called ‘horsts’, which are upthrown blocks lying between two steep-angled fault blocks.
- This line was acquired over the upthrown block of the mapped Christchurch Fault.
- By way of contrast, regions on a fault's upthrown side have less load and so experience uplift.
nounBack to top
- An upward displacement of rock strata.More example sentences
- The exploration geologist or geophysicist searching for these resources would be able to estimate that greater reserves would be preserved on the downthrow side of the fault, in contrast to its upthrow side.
More definitions of upthrowDefinition of upthrow in:
- The US English dictionary