noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A compound found in living tissue as a constituent base of RNA. In DNA it is replaced by thymine.
- A pyrimidine derivative; chemical formula: C4H4N2O2
More example sentences
- Thymine, present in DNA, and uracil, present in RNA, also contribute to this band.
- RNA has the same set of four bases, except that instead of thymine, RNA has uracil - commonly referred to as U.
- The nitrogen-containing units are the bases: adenine, cytosine, guanine, and uracil.
late 19th century: from ur(ea) + ac(etic) + -il.
Definition of uracil in:
- The US English dictionary