- The chemical element of atomic number 92, a dense grey radioactive metal used as a fuel in nuclear reactors. (Symbol: U)More example sentences
- It is not possible, however, to construct weapons directly out of uranium or slightly enriched uranium.
- All countries have uranium, uranium is a very common material around the world.
- It is not certain if the effects are due to the chemical or the radioactive properties of uranium.
Uranium is a chemically reactive metal belonging to the actinide series. Becquerel discovered radioactivity in uranium in 1896, and its capacity to undergo fission led to its use as a source of energy, though the fissile isotope, uranium-235, has to be separated from the more common uranium-238 before it can be used in nuclear weapons. The atom bomb exploded over Hiroshima in 1945 contained uranium-235
More definitions of uraniumDefinition of uranium in:
- The US English dictionary