Definition of uranography in English:
noun[mass noun] archaic
The branch of astronomy concerned with describing and mapping the stars.
- Their works covered the range of cosmography, uranography, hydrography, chorogreaphy and topography.
- The Romans derived a considerable portion of their star lore and uranography from the Greeks.
- On further search this juxtaposition seems to be the result of the usual confusion between uranography and geography.
- Example sentences
- Wil Tirion is the world's leading uranographer, and his charts have appeared in astronomy books all over the globe.
- This collection of telescopic photos and illustrations by uranographer Wil Tirion and lunar cartographer Antonin Rukl covers all the objects visible in the northern and southern skies.
- The stars of this constellation were however assigned to the Pheonix by the 16th century Barvarian uranographer Johann Bayer.
Definition of uranography in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan