Definition of urbane in English:
- Educated at one of Shanghai's top universities, he's urbane, articulate in English and works in a foreign law firm.
- It was a terrible thing to say, especially since he is an urbane man.
- He was urbane and charming as, indeed, are most members of the Sri Lankan ruling elite.
This word was first used in the sense ‘urban’; it comes from Latin urbanus ‘belonging to the city’, from urbs ‘city’, the source of urban (early 17th century) and conurbation (early 20th century). Suburban appears in the early 17th century used literally for ‘relating to a suburb’ (an LME word meaning ‘outside the city’). The disparaging sense appears in 1817 with Byron's ‘vulgar, dowdyish, and suburban’.
- Example sentences
- He replied urbanely, ‘I like to look out for the interests of my friends.
- ‘Perhaps I do, Miss Sommers,’ he said urbanely.
- Shane stepped forward urbanely, and Tal did the same.
Words that rhyme with urbaneabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.