- 1Courteousness and refinement of manner: that polished urbanity of hisMore example sentences
suaveness, sophistication, worldliness, elegance, cultivation, culture, civilization, breeding, smoothness, polish, refinement, poise, self-possession, dignity; courtesy, politeness, civility, mannerliness, manners, gentlemanliness, gallantry, courtliness, graciousness, charm, affability, tact, diplomacy, soft skills• informal cool• humorous couth
- For all his urbanity and good manners, it wasn't a particularly impressive performance.
- There's another quote about him that I like that says he was known for ‘his wit and for the urbanity of his manners and his keen relish of social enjoyments’.
- It's not threatening urbanity, high culture and tolerance.
- 2Urban life: a picture of banal urbanityMore example sentences
- It is a style that is rooted in tradition and the exotic, yet reflects the dynamism of modern urbanity.
- Henen draws on her awareness of middle class urbanity in her work.
- That such cosmopolitan urbanity both exists in Croatia and mingles freely with the country's pastoral charm does not surprise Croatians; what surprises them is how slow the rest of the world has been to catch on.
mid 16th century: from French urbanité or Latin urbanitas, from urbanus 'belonging to the city' (see urban).