Definition of urethra in English:
nounAnatomy & Zoology
The duct by which urine is conveyed out of the body from the bladder, and which in male vertebrates also conveys semen.
- This chapter focuses on infections of the male urethra, epididymis, testis, and prostate.
- The muscles beneath the bladder that surround the urethra are called the pelvic floor muscles.
- Your urinary system is composed of your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra.
- Example sentences
- During normal voiding the detrusor muscle contracts and the muscles of the urethral sphincter and pelvic floor relax in a co-ordinated fashion to allow the bladder to empty.
- The aims of continence surgery are to elevate the bladder neck, support the mid urethra, or increase urethral resistance.
- Fever, fatigue, aches and pains, and a urethral or vaginal discharge often occur.
Mid 17th century: from late Latin, from Greek ourēthra, from ourein 'urinate'.
Words that rhyme with urethrapalaestra (US palestra)
Definition of urethra in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.