- 1Requiring immediate action or attention: an urgent demand for more state fundingMore example sentences
- Mr. Wright concluded that there was nothing urgent requiring immediate attention.
- The question of professional refereeing is an urgent issue that needs immediate attention.
- These are the urgent issues that need attention, with special reference also to gender.
- 2(Of an action or event) done or arranged in response to an urgent situation: she needs urgent treatmentMore example sentences
- I don't think I have anything to do that has an urgent deadline or immediately requires my attention.
- The child required urgent medical attention but did not develop long term adverse effects.
- The temples require urgent restoration by skilled craftsmen who work on heritage structures.
- 2.1(Of a person or their manner) earnest and persistent: an urgent whisperMore example sentences
- He was urgent, almost angry, in his passion and the whole thing left me feeling unfulfilled.
- The tone of your letter can be folksy and conversational or urgent and earnest.
- More example sentences
- Vans, trucks and station wagons urgently pull up to take away their quota of papers on time.
- As the old hall has now fallen into disrepair a new facility is urgently needed.
- They urgently need parents from both schools to help form a rota system to dispose of this waste.
late 15th century: from Old French, from Latin urgent- 'pressing, driving', from the verb urgere (see urge).