Definition of uropygium in English:
The rump of a bird, supporting the tail feathers.
- The extent of white also on the uropygium varies much in individual examples, sometimes spreading down to the thighs.
- The nape, shoulder, and upper surface of wings are also thickly strewn with white feathers; back and uropygium have likewise many white patches, but getting fewer towards the latter portion.
- Example sentences
- They use their bills to coat their feathers with oil from the uropygial gland.
- Ovenbirds give off a unique musty odor that is thought to come from the oil in the uropygial gland.
- The purpose of the current study was to test the importance of preen oil in Rock Doves by removing the uropygial gland and quantifying plumage condition over a period of several months.
Definition of uropygium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan