- 1Able to be used for a practical purpose or in several ways: aspirins are useful for headachesMore example sentences
functional, practical, handy, neat, convenient, utilitarian, utility, helpful, applicable, serviceable, of use, of service• informal niftybeneficial, advantageous, helpful, worthwhile, profitable, gainful, rewarding, productive, constructive, effective, efficacious, valuable, fruitful, of help, of assistance
- It means the building is going to be cared for and used and will serve a useful purpose for the community.
- At least it felt like I was doing a proper job and something with a useful purpose.
- The flight served no useful purpose at all: there was no need or compulsion to join it.
- 1.1British • informal Very able or competent in a particular area: a useful pace bowler
make oneself useful
- Do something that is of some value or benefit to someone: make yourself useful—get Jenny a drinkMore example sentences
- For it is by making themselves useful to the powerful that they gain access to the ‘best’ sources.
- I seize this opportunity to help Mark by making myself useful.
- Nice to see the man making himself useful again.
- More example sentences
- He might usefully have added that this could be a long season.
- Minimising waste is very good practice in industry and commerce, and many of its lessons could usefully be applied to households.
- Much of that money was not used usefully and with almost no industrial base the country is groaning under its debt burden.