- Advantageous: I deplored the killing of them for merely utile purposesMore example sentences
- And the wedge that this issue continues to drive between Palmer and his wife is also dramatically utile.
- A third reason for the Calvinist neglect of art is the doctrine of vocation: ‘Parents should urge their children to choose vocations that would be useful to their neighbors… ‘Arts were not so utile.’
- Women, in truth, are not only intelligent; they have almost a monopoly of certain of the subtler and more utile forms of intelligence.
late 15th century: via Old French from Latin utilis, from uti 'to use'.
- A large tropical African hardwood tree with timber that is widely used as a substitute for mahogany.
More example sentences
- Entandrophragma utile, family Meliaceae
- The utile has a wide natural distribution in tropical Africa.
1950s: modern Latin, specific epithet (see above).