Definition of utilitarian in English:
1Designed to be useful or practical rather than attractive: a utilitarian building
More example sentences
- Department stores do stock lots of bras in ‘plus’ sizes, but they tend to be ugly, utilitarian and practical bras designed for an older clientele.
- They looked merely utilitarian and sensibly designed.
- The scrapers seem to have functioned primarily as utilitarian items rather than prestige items.
practical, functional, serviceable, useful, sensible, effective, efficient, (suited) to the purpose, pragmatic, realistic, utility, working, workaday, handy, neat, ordinary, down-to-earth;
hard-wearing, durable, lasting, long-lasting, tough, strong, robust, wear-resistant
2 Philosophy Relating to or adhering to the doctrine of utilitarianism: a utilitarian theorist
More example sentences
- He made a lasting contribution to moral and political philosophy by attacking the prevailing materialism and empiricism of utilitarian thinkers.
- In England, the utilitarian doctrine of a higher public good trumped the idea of intellectual property rooted in natural right.
- Modern philosophers tend to take a more utilitarian position.
nounPhilosophy Back to top
An adherent of utilitarianism.
- Assigning particular rights to people may be a way to promote wellbeing, and when it is, utilitarians favour doing it.
- It is no accident then, that the utilitarians were often called philosophical radicals.
- The utilitarians, who were also known as Philosophical Radicals, believed in a rather simple social formula: reduce pain and increase pleasure.
Words that rhyme with utilitarianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan