1A member of a Turkic people living mainly in the republic of Uzbekistan and also in Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, and Afghanistan.
- They were a representative ethnic mix of the region: Russians, Uzbeks and Kazakhs.
- Uzbek is the language of about twenty million Uzbeks living in Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan.
- The Uzbeks are the world's second-largest group of Turkic people (after the Turks of Turkey).
1.1A native or inhabitant of Uzbekistan.
- Uzbeks felt that foreign rulers were being imposed upon them.
- Two Uzbeks, a Kuwaiti and a Saudi national were arrested.
- The Ferghana Valley spans neighbouring Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan, with Uzbeks having strong bonds with the Kyrgyz.
2 [mass noun] The Turkic language of Uzbekistan, having some 16 million speakers.
- Their languages were different - Uzbek and Russian - but they shared the same fear and anger.
- It's pretty much impossible to hold a job unless you speak Uzbek.
- I studied some Uzbek and the grammar is slightly different.
Relating to Uzbekistan, the Uzbeks, or their language.
- But with the loosening of state control in the 1980s, a new generation of writers renewed the Uzbek language and Uzbek themes.
- The forum was attended by producers of fruit and wine, by representatives of Uzbek banks, industry organisations, and tourism associations.
- The picture of this woman selling bread is significant because of the unique role of bread in Uzbek life and cuisine.
The name in Uzbek.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Uzbek
Definition of Uzbek in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.