1British A sign resembling the letter V made with the first two fingers pointing up and the back of the hand facing outwards, used as a gesture of abuse or contempt.
- As he was led to the cells, he turned back and made a two-fingered V-sign at police officers sitting in court.
- She said that although he had made V-signs and muttered swear-words, police had not warned him about his conduct in court before his arrest.
- However, all she met was a gang of Neds chanting ‘Save Oor Buckie’ and making V-signs for the cameras.
2A sign resembling the letter V made with the first two fingers pointing up and the palm of the hand facing outwards, used as a symbol or gesture of victory.
- He smiled and waved to reporters and fans and flashed a V-sign as he left the Santa Barbara County Jail in a black Suburban escorted by three sheriff's motorcycle officers.
- The ailing leader raised his hand to make a V-sign and moved it to the rhythm of the chants before speeding away in a black Mercedes, accompanied by security guards with raised assault rifles.
- He sent a handful of diehard fans into a frenzy when he briefly appeared at his fourth floor hospital window, flashing his signature V-sign and waving a teddy bear his admirers say they had given him.
Words that rhyme with V-signinternecine
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: V-sign
Definition of V-sign in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.