1A space or vesicle within the cytoplasm of a cell, enclosed by a membrane and typically containing fluid.
- In slowly dried tissues, considerable cell wall folding had occurred, there was substantial subdivision of the vacuoles and some plasma membrane withdrawal from the cell walls.
- The protective membranes that surround the vacuoles closely resemble cell membranes in the human liver that serve a similar function.
- The electrode tip pushes through the cell wall tending to jump quickly across the plasma membrane into either the cytoplasm or the vacuole.
1.1A small cavity or space in tissue, especially in nervous tissue as the result of disease.
- Interestingly, in both ventricles myocytes adjacent to the adipose tissue showed multiple sarcoplasmic vacuoles.
- The toxicant specifically targets the central nervous system, creating vacuoles that are apparent only through microscopic examination of very fresh brain tissue.
- Some tumor cells contained intracytoplasmic vacuoles and eccentrically displaced nuclei, forming a signet ring cell appearance.
- Example sentences
- For example, during the second year of their biennial life cycle, sprouting red beet plants require the mobilization of vacuolar sucrose from the underground hypocotyl.
- Feedback on citrate metabolism by vacuolar storage may also be incorporated in the model as new data become available to quantify the activities of tonoplastic transport systems.
- Similarly demyelination of the posterior columns of the spinal cord was observed in nearly half of the autopsied cases, while vacuolar myelopathy was rare.
- Example sentences
- Intracytoplasmic vacuolations are frequently seen, and they occasionally contain erythrocytes, reminiscent of primitive vessels.
- One strain produced a cytopathic effect consisting of vacuolation.
- For measurements, only root protoplasts with a dense cytoplasm and no, or little, vacuolation were selected.
Mid 19th century: from French, diminutive of Latin vacuus 'empty'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vacu|ole
Definition of vacuole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.