Definition of vacuous in English:
1Having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless: a vacuous smile vacuous slogans
More example sentences
- Choices based on the most minute reasoning but lacking any desire are vacuous.
- You'll see their vacuous smiles, but their sad eyes will betray how hollow and unhappy they really are.
- In short, what we have here is a veritable orgy of vacuous generalities and meaningless slogans.
blank, vacant, expressionless, deadpan, inscrutable, inexpressive, poker-faced, emotionless, impassive, absent, absent-minded, uninterested, empty, glassy, stony, wooden, motionless, lifeless, inanimate
empty-headed, unintelligent, without thought, brainless, dense, dull-witted, thick, vacant, inane, stupid
2 archaic Empty.
- A vacuous, empty space is present in almost all locations throughout the film and successfully captures the enormous lack of love Barry feels.
- On the second floor, I stepped into a vacuous, empty office space.
- There was less than a minute of silence, and then two police cruisers tore down the vacuous street with their sirens on and stopped in front of the restaurant.
- Example sentences
- It provides us no cover to assert vacuously that we are doing what the Supreme Court commands.
- She was intelligent and coherent and not the least bit cosy or vacuously spiritual.
- Your statement is probably vacuously true.
- Example sentences
- But I don't think I can set aside my prejudices about the vacuousness of life in suburban sprawl.
- I have been conducting an experiment aimed at analysing the intensifying silliness, stupidity and vacuousness of the world.
- But on a much larger level, it just shows once again the utter vacuousness of our electoral system.
Words that rhyme with vacuoussuperfluous • congruous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan