noun (plural vagotomies)[mass noun]
A surgical operation in which one or more branches of the vagus nerve are cut, typically to reduce the rate of gastric secretion (e.g. in treating peptic ulcers): some of these patients had had vagotomy in the past [count noun]: a vagotomy was completed
More example sentences
- Truncal vagotomy to reduce gastric acid production is the preferred surgical management approach.
- All gastric operations involving vagotomy included the breach of the pylorus, usually by pyloroplasty.
- The patient underwent an exploratory laparotomy, resection of the gastric mass, pyloroplasty, truncal vagotomy, and cyst duodenostomy.
vagotomized (also vagotomised) adjective
- Example sentences
- He has similarly reported on 25 vagotomized patients suffering from duodenal ulcers.
- Previous studies demonstrating a significant endogenous 5 - HT drive to the HMN were performed in anesthetized or decerebrate vagotomized animals.
- All of the contractile and relaxant responses evoked by these stimuli were absent in vagotomized animals.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: va¦got|omy
Definition of vagotomy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.