Definition of vair in English:
1Fur obtained from a variety of red squirrel, used in the 13th and 14th centuries as a trimming or lining for garments.
- All day long Cinderella wore rags and dragged her feet in clogs, but at night she whirled in fine vair shoes and glittering gowns.
- A thousand men dressed in vair followed Beduerus the butler, similarly attired, offering various drinks of every sort in goblets.
- One morning this maidservant, with a basket of cabbage greens, passed by Bito who, beforehand, had thought to dress in his finest robes of rich vair.
2 Heraldry Fur represented by interlocking rows of shield-shaped or bell-shaped figures which are typically alternately blue and white, as a tincture.
- The height of a row of vair is not strictly specified, but is typically about one-fifth that of the shield.
- The white and blue bell-shapes of vair usually form the equivalent of a chequerboard pattern.
Definition of vair in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.