Definition of vair in English:
1Fur obtained from a variety of red squirrel, used in the 13th and 14th centuries as a trimming or lining for garments.
- All day long Cinderella wore rags and dragged her feet in clogs, but at night she whirled in fine vair shoes and glittering gowns.
- A thousand men dressed in vair followed Beduerus the butler, similarly attired, offering various drinks of every sort in goblets.
- One morning this maidservant, with a basket of cabbage greens, passed by Bito who, beforehand, had thought to dress in his finest robes of rich vair.
2 Heraldry Fur represented by interlocking rows of shield-shaped or bell-shaped figures which are typically alternately blue and white, as a tincture.
- The height of a row of vair is not strictly specified, but is typically about one-fifth that of the shield.
- The white and blue bell-shapes of vair usually form the equivalent of a chequerboard pattern.
Definition of vair in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan