Definition of valance in English:
1A length of decorative drapery attached to the canopy or frame of a bed in order to screen the structure or the space beneath it.
- The Gripsholm bed is squarer and lower than the Knole bed (it may have been cut down), with a more conventional canopy and valances.
- Included in the show are table covers, needlework patterns, needle worked fire screens, valances for mantels and beds, needlework upholstery, and sewing tools.
- One of the rooms incorporates a four-poster with an embroidered valance, while another houses a lovely old polished roll-end bed like a sledge of dreams.
1.1A sheet with a deep pleated or gathered border that is designed to hang down over the mattress and sides of a bed.
- I watched as Brian lifted up the valance that hung down over the side of the bed, to reveal a snoozing father, empty beer can in hand - and for some reason missing his shoes.
- Specialising in soft furnishing, the Milano design team has come up with coordinated sets for the bedroom, including duvet covers, embellished bed linen, pillowcases, sheets, throws, quilts and bed valances.
- And both rooms were finished with new roman shades and linen valances.
1.2chiefly North American A length of decorative drapery hung above a window to screen the curtain fittings.
- The padded valances and floor-length curtains concealed the architectural beauty of the windows.
- Draperies combined with window shades, valances and ornamentation such as trims can produce an exceptionally well-dressed window.
- Curtains or valances, appliance covers, and table runners all can be easily stitched at home.
1.3A protective panel screening the wheels of a vehicle.
- As part of your Dodge body kit ensemble, the rear valance is an add-on piece that fully covers your existing bumper.
- Track position is magnified at this place because we've got the valances on the ground, we've got the spoilers way up in the air.
- From September onwards, BMW's 3 - Series gets a new kidney grille, new headlights, new lower front and rear valances, two new engines and a range of chassis and specification enhancements.
- Example sentences
- My bed doesn't have this old-fashioned valanced polyester cover.
- The ashpit crew must now face a choice: by thumbing the button on the electric hoist, they can transport the dump of steamy sodden cinders up and over and into a cinder car, its underframe valanced with murky icicles.
Definition of valance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan