Definition of valance in English:
1A length of decorative drapery attached to the canopy or frame of a bed in order to screen the structure or the space beneath it.
- The Gripsholm bed is squarer and lower than the Knole bed (it may have been cut down), with a more conventional canopy and valances.
- Included in the show are table covers, needlework patterns, needle worked fire screens, valances for mantels and beds, needlework upholstery, and sewing tools.
- One of the rooms incorporates a four-poster with an embroidered valance, while another houses a lovely old polished roll-end bed like a sledge of dreams.
1.1A sheet with a deep pleated or gathered border that is designed to hang down over the mattress and sides of a bed.
- I watched as Brian lifted up the valance that hung down over the side of the bed, to reveal a snoozing father, empty beer can in hand - and for some reason missing his shoes.
- Specialising in soft furnishing, the Milano design team has come up with coordinated sets for the bedroom, including duvet covers, embellished bed linen, pillowcases, sheets, throws, quilts and bed valances.
- And both rooms were finished with new roman shades and linen valances.
1.2chiefly North American A length of decorative drapery hung above a window to screen the curtain fittings.
- The padded valances and floor-length curtains concealed the architectural beauty of the windows.
- Draperies combined with window shades, valances and ornamentation such as trims can produce an exceptionally well-dressed window.
- Curtains or valances, appliance covers, and table runners all can be easily stitched at home.
1.3A protective panel screening the wheels of a vehicle.
- As part of your Dodge body kit ensemble, the rear valance is an add-on piece that fully covers your existing bumper.
- Track position is magnified at this place because we've got the valances on the ground, we've got the spoilers way up in the air.
- From September onwards, BMW's 3 - Series gets a new kidney grille, new headlights, new lower front and rear valances, two new engines and a range of chassis and specification enhancements.
- Example sentences
- My bed doesn't have this old-fashioned valanced polyester cover.
- The ashpit crew must now face a choice: by thumbing the button on the electric hoist, they can transport the dump of steamy sodden cinders up and over and into a cinder car, its underframe valanced with murky icicles.
Words that rhyme with valancebalance, counterbalance, imbalance, outbalance
Definition of valance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.