nounChemistry & Linguistics
1 another term for valency.
- The difference in the valence of phosphorous and silicon provides the free electrons needed for metal-like behaviour.
- These data can only be explained if one assumes that the affective valence of the prime is processed, even though this is not necessary for the task at hand.
1.1 [as modifier] Relating to or denoting electrons involved in or available for chemical bond formation: molecules with unpaired valence electrons
More example sentences
- Nonmetals with eight valence electrons are chemically unreactive.
- The electrons in the highest energy level are called valence electrons.
- The metalloids have an intermediate number of valence electrons.
Words that rhyme with valencebivalence, covalence, surveillance
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan