1A Eurasian plant which typically bears clusters of small pink or white flowers.
- Family Valerianaceae: several species, in particular common valerian (Valeriana officinalis), a valued medicinal herb, and the Mediterranean red valerian (Centranthus ruber), grown for its spurred flowers which attract butterflies
- Down by the pool, sown among the large white rocks that were dug out of the hillside to accommodate it, are white valerians, more grasses, lavenders and sages.
- Unless it's the drug-like catnips and valerians, most cats ignore growing things.
- The herbs chamomile, valerian, yarrow, nettle, comfrey and dandelion can help make a success of your compost heap.
1.1 [mass noun] A drug obtained from the root of common valerian, used as a sedative and antispasmodic.
- Unlike synthetic sedatives, valerian is not considered addictive.
- An alternative remedy for insomnia is valerian, a herbal medicine that has some reported positive effects but has not been exhaustively clinically investigated.
- In animal and clinical studies, valerian has proven to act as a mild sedative and tranquilizer, thereby aiding sleep, even among chronic pain sufferers.
Words that rhyme with valerianAlgerian, Cancerian, Chaucerian, Cimmerian, criterion, Hesperian, Hitlerian, Hyperion, Iberian, Liberian, Nigerian, Presbyterian, Shakespearean, Siberian, Spenserian, Sumerian, Wagnerian, Zairean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.