- 1A man’s personal male attendant, who is responsible for his clothes and appearance.More example sentences
- These butlers, footmen, valets, drivers, personal assistants, and bodyguards knew where the bodies lay.
- I have no idea how the others manage to take such personal attentions for granted, to the point that they can't function without their personal maids and valets.
- While waiting for his trial, Galileo was housed in a luxurious apartment overlooking the Vatican gardens and provided with a personal valet.
- 1.1A hotel employee who attends to the clothes of guests: [as modifier]: a valet serviceMore example sentences
- Also in the kit is information on the new valet unpack service, providing added assistance in the unpacking of boxes.
- At the hotel, the bellman should get $2 per bag carried and a concierge or a valet should get at least $2 per service.
- Their duties include acting as valets for male guests.
- 2North American A person employed to clean or park cars: he handed his keys to the parking valet [as modifier]: valet parkingMore example sentences
- However, in Los Angeles, even the most ordinary mid-range restaurant will happily employ a valet service to park your car and bring it back round to the front door for you, to coincide with your departure.
- A valet recently refused to park her Land Rover because it was a complete mess.
- When the valets park your car in a covered spot, the fee is the same as uncovered.
verb (valets, valeting, valeted)[with object] Back to top
- 1Act as a valet to (a particular man): one evening when I was valeting him, Mr Charles told me he had met my fatherMore example sentences
- She did the fine laundry, and looked after 'his' clothes, and valeted him.
- It doesn't hurt my pride to valet him.
- He valeted Lord Oldcastle when he went on the special mission to Berlin.
- 2Clean (a car), especially on the inside: try not to spill anything on the seat—I just had the thing valetedMore example sentences
- I personally did not hear the shots being fired as I had the vacuum on valeting a car with the radio going full blast.
- Braintree Council has leased about 20 parking spaces in Braintree's George Yard car park to Car Valet UK to wash and valet cars.
- The 28-year-old England captain also spent £74,000 on parking and valeting his five cars; £54,000 on food; and £9,000 on TV and video.
late 15th century (denoting a footman acting as an attendant to a horseman): from French; related to vassal.