Definition of valiant in English:
Possessing or showing courage or determination: she made a valiant effort to hold her anger in check a valiant warrior
More example sentences
- I have to say we made a valiant effort - after each set back we picked ourselves up, brushed the dirt of our knees and skated on.
- Bruno loves Sonia and makes a valiant effort to make her happy once again.
- The singer feigns ignorance, and makes a valiant if contradictory effort to keep up appearances.
brave, fearless, courageous, valorous, plucky, intrepid, heroic, stout-hearted, lionhearted, manly, manful, bold, daring, audacious, gallant, confident, spirited, stout, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, mettlesome, unalarmed, unflinching, unshrinking, unblenching, unabashed, undismayed;
determined, stalwart, staunch, indomitable, resolute, steadfast, firm, unyielding, unbending, unfaltering, unswerving, unwavering, stubborn, dogged;
North American rock-ribbed
- Example sentences
- As children, some of us may once have enjoyed the idea of going out in a blaze of glory in a war or a western, or while valiantly attempting some heroic deed or feat.
- He was also a man of courage, and in his last years valiantly fought the illness that would kill him.
- His neighbour had valiantly attempted to douse the fire.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan