- Possessing or showing courage or determination: she made a valiant effort to hold her anger in check a valiant warriorMore example sentences
brave, fearless, courageous, valorous, plucky, intrepid, heroic, stout-hearted, lionhearted, manly, manful, bold, daring, audacious, gallant, confident, spirited, stout, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, mettlesome, unalarmed, unflinching, unshrinking, unblenching, unabashed, undismayed; determined, stalwart, staunch, indomitable, resolute, steadfast, firm, unyielding, unbending, unfaltering, unswerving, unwavering, stubborn, dogged; North American rock-ribbed
- I have to say we made a valiant effort - after each set back we picked ourselves up, brushed the dirt of our knees and skated on.
- Bruno loves Sonia and makes a valiant effort to make her happy once again.
- The singer feigns ignorance, and makes a valiant if contradictory effort to keep up appearances.
- More example sentences
- As children, some of us may once have enjoyed the idea of going out in a blaze of glory in a war or a western, or while valiantly attempting some heroic deed or feat.
- He was also a man of courage, and in his last years valiantly fought the illness that would kill him.
- His neighbour had valiantly attempted to douse the fire.
Middle English (also in the sense 'robust, well-built'): from Old French vailant, based on Latin valere 'be strong'.