noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
An amino acid which is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
- Chemical formula: (CH3)2CHCH(NH2)COOH
More example sentences
- In sickle cell disease, the amino acid valine is substituted for glutamic acid in the beta-hemoglobin chain of hemoglobin.
- When synthetic lysine is used in the lactation diet, care should be taken to ensure that methionine, valine, and threonine are not limiting.
- Sickle cell anemia is caused by the replacement of glutamate by valine at the sixth position of the [beta] globin chain.
early 20th century: from val(eric acid) + -ine4.
Definition of valine in:
- The US English dictionary