noun (plural valleculae /-liː/)Anatomy & Botany
- A groove or furrow.More example sentences
- Double swallow to clear residue in the valleculae.
- In normal persons, small amounts of food are commonly retained in the valleculae or pyriform sinus after swallowing.
- Eight different bones from Australian species of fish and a king prawn shell were selected and each was positioned individually in the tonsil, vallecula and piriform fossa.
- More example sentences
- External to the vascular bundles is another set of canals, the vallecular canals or cortical canals.
- The gross impression was of laryngeal vallecular cyst of saccular type.
- Between the anterior surface of the epiglottis and the posterior surface of the tongue are the vallecular fossae separated by a glossoepiglottic fold.
mid 19th century: from a late Latin variant of Latin vallicula, diminutive of Latin vallis 'valley'.
More definitions of valleculaDefinition of vallecula in:
- The US English dictionary