Definition of valonia in English:
1 (also valonia oak) An evergreen oak tree native to southern Europe and western Asia.
- Quercus macrolepis, family Fagaceae
- We are glad of the green valonia oaks that spread their shade over us, and of the blossoming haw-thorns that scatter their flower-snow on the hill-side.
- Besides the valonia oak, the elm, willow, cypress and tamarisk shrub abound.
- Licorice, valonia oaks, and wild olive trees grow in the southwest.
1.1The acorn cups of the valonia, which yield a black dye and are used in tanning.
- Other goods sent from Arcadia to Venice were meat, cheese, wool, wheat, honey, and valonia.
- Its main exports in the nineteenth century were raisins, cotton, dried fruit, figs, madder, valonia and opium, with cereals, sponges, olive oil and tobacco also being exported.
- Gathering the yellow seeds, valonias, and gallnuts in the fall, the weaving woman's husband could fill in a good share of his year, and, if he was saving, add a pretty penny to her earnings.
Words that rhyme with valoniaAmazonia, ammonia, Antonia, Babylonia, begonia, bonier, Catalonia, catatonia, Cephalonia, Estonia, Ionia, Laconia, Livonia, Macedonia, mahonia, Patagonia, pneumonia, pogonia, Rondônia, sinfonia, Snowdonia, zirconia
Definition of valonia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan